Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Good Sunday Afternoon

Sunday afternoon it rained a good spell and then the sun came out and my girls all ran outside to spend time with the animals.

We let the bucks out to do some foraging.  The girls watched them and fed little Alaska.  Alaska has been sold and will go to his new home in just one weeks time.  I'm afraid my girls will be heart-broken.  My middle daughter has already cried about it but we really don't need any more bucks. 

They are incredibly friendly.  Bucks make the best pets!
Here my daughter is trying to keep the big Bucks from treating little Alaska Star to rough.



  Brownie is taming up really nice and is very curious about everyone.  We love his spots! 

My youngest is always eager to feed Alaska.  We were feeding Luna as well, but she has already gone to her new home.  They will continue to feed her until she weans. 
Luna, a few days before we sold her.


Our Turkeys are growing fast!  They strut and gobble and are still some of the friendliest birds we own.  If they see me outside they run to the fence and will follow me around the yard.

It's always fun to play with the kids!

This little bucklings is also sold and will go to his home soon.  He is wondering why my daughter is on his toy.  My girls are playing hard with all these cuties right now while they can. 
 
It has been fun, but the yard is getting crowded.  It will be good so see some of them go.
 
 
 

My middle child decided she wanted to make a dead bug collection.  She gathered all the shedding skins and dead bodies of the Cicadas and dragonflies she found around the back of our porch.  The amount she found is kind of crazy!

We have Cicadas all over our property.  They live 14-17 years underground before emerging and molting their nymph bodies as flying adults.  Then they make their famous loud chirping/buzzing sounds for about a month, mate and die.  17 years underground for just 4-5 weeks of adult life.  Wow.

Below is an adult I caught shedding on our back porch a few nights ago.  I found the colors fascinating.



No comments:

Post a Comment