Monday, September 19, 2016

Chickens and Goat's Milk

We are milking Ebony and the milk tastes awful!  We know it is colostrum in the milk and it can linger for up to a week.  A few sources have even said they do not produce good drinkable milk until about the third week.  We put some of the first day milk into the freezer for future kids, and the rest, well it felt a waste to dump it, so the chickens got some dairy!


My husband looked into getting dairy goats before we started our chicken breeding nearly 5 years ago.  We backed away from them when the costs of fencing and goat shelters seemed overwhelming.  And then the chickens took over and our goats were forgotten.  Until now!  I think he is pleased we finally have eggs and milk!

The milk looks great up against the veggies from our garden.  It looks like we are a real homestead!  (Umm. just ignore that can of soup in the pot behind them.)


I have some great chicken pictures with the hens crowding around trying to get the milk....but I cannot locate them.  I will add them here when I find them.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment