Friday, April 13, 2018

December 2017 Christmas Tragedy

Two days before Christmas little Two Spot took ill with pneumonia.  We had a cold, wet storm come through, and he got what I thought was a little cold, but by morning it was life threatening.  We took him indoors and he stayed in a dog crate in my kitchen for two nights.  I thought he might pull through when he got some energy back and began to eat and drink on the second day and walk around.  But Christmas Eve he seemed to go down hill and refused to stand up or leave the crate.

Christmas morning I checked on him before turning on the Christmas tree lights and awakening my daughters to see what Santa and brought.  Two Spot was alive but weak.  He looked at me with wet eyes.  He did not raise his head.  I pet him and tried to get him to drink, but he didn't want anything.  Still, he looked peaceful, almost smiling, like he was saying, "See, I made it to Christmas morning."

I heard small voices, so I left him and soon was preoccupied with delighted children, Christmas music and the opening of gifts and presents.  After the last gift was unwrapped and the girls settled into playing with their treasures,  I slipped into the kitchen to check on Two Spot.

He was gone.  He had passed away while we opened our gifts.  He had only lived long enough to hear the sounds of his only Christmas morning.

My heart sunk.  I felt tears on my face.  And I wondered why my girl's joy was now going to be interrupted by grief.  My girls had been hoping for this little guy's recovery.  He was one of their babies.

Instead of a Christmas miracle, the girls dressed warmly and went outside to help my husband bury the little buck.  They didn't cry loudly.  Just a few quiet tears of wonder and heartache.  My oldest hugged me strongly and sniffed away her hurt when she returned inside before going back in to see her gifts.  

All before breakfast. 


As I pondered all of this, I couldn't help but think about the true meaning of Christmas.  The marvelous gift of our Heavenly Father to each of us born as a baby predestined to die for our Salvation.  The gift of his son was a sacrifice that was going to end with the death of our Father's only Begotten.  Our Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ, our greatest gift. 

And in our small grief, we remembered. 
Merry Christmas Two Spot...and Thank-you.


No comments:

Post a Comment