Thursday, May 30, 2013

Blue Breda

One of my favorite breeds of chicken is the Blue Breda.  Breda comes in 3 colors: Blue, Black, and Splash.  Our first Breda were acquired by a random egg sample we got at an auction from Greenfire Farms.  Two hatched: both Blue.  We raised them up and then hatched their eggs and now have blue, black and splash.  These birds lay a medium white egg and look very fancy.  They are fast and can easily keep distance between themselves and my children, who like to catch chickens for fun sometimes.  The prefer the highest roost and would love a tree or two to fly into.  We raised our young Breda with Legbars and other breeds and I've noticed the Breda seek their own out and enjoy leaving the other birds behind.  So can I say they act kind of snobby?  Well, maybe... yet they are very beautiful and mild in manner so they are welcome and a fun addition. 

Some fun facts about Breda:  The rooster does not have a comb.  Just waddles.  He still crows, but ours have been more mild mannered then other breeds of roosters.  His crow is also high pitched and more shrill then other breeds.  They seem to frighten easily, so don't brake their trust if you want them to be tame. 


The cutest chicks!  Don't you just want some!

 
Young birds.  The pullet is in the front and the young cockerel is in the back.  We couldn't tell their gender when they were this young, but we found out later on.
A Young Cockeral
 
Can you tell if this is a hen or a cockerel?  We know, but how about you?  This is our black Breda.

Here is our current 3-some.  We have a blue, black and splash Breda.


Our splash Breda Hen.  Hard to catch and not tame at all- but sure pretty.

6 comments:

  1. So...every time the Breda are free ranging and I go out to the pasture the Splash Breda hen comes running across the filed and stops right at my heels. If I take one step forward she hops forwards until she is right at my heels again. If I walk slowly she will make a series of hops trying to match the length of my stride. It is so funny. That hen cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would I tell the sex of my juvenile breda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Look above at the waddles below the picture of my 3 juvenile Breda. Two of them: the black and the blue Breda, have red, growing waddles. The young pullet does not. This is usually a good indicator, but sometimes you will still get a late bloomer that will mess up your predictions. Without that top comb, these birds are one of the hardest to sex early.

      Delete
  3. Do you have any Breda eggs for sale? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina send us a email to graniteplains@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete