Sunday, August 11, 2013

Breda and Silky

We moved our two pet Breda, Snowy and Rain Storm, to a private coop away from the other breeds.  Snowy is a Splash Breda and should begin laying very soon.  Rain Storm is our Blue Breda Rooster.  The new coop is very tall with high perches.  Perfect for their breed.

My husband is planning a large Cream Legbar hatch in the fall when the weather cools down.  I'm hoping to throw in some pure Breda eggs as well. 



Our only currently problem is that I put my little favorite hen: Silky, in with the Breda because she went broody in her other flock.  She is such a flighty bird that I thought she would do well with the Breda, who are also very lean and flighty.  She was immediately welcomed by both of them, no pecking order disputes at all, and now I don't want to remove her from her new friends.  Silky is a mix of the White Leghorn and Silky Breeds.  She is small and lays lots of little white eggs.  The problem will be that Snowy will also lay little white eggs.  How will I be able to tell which eggs to hatch?  I may end up with Silky Leghorn Breda.  ????  Not really what I was hoping for.
Look at Snowy's feet.  I love her feathers.  Breda roosters are comb-less.  It is one of their unique traits.  You should hear Rain Storm crow.  He sounds like a teenage boy trying to be a man, yet he will never out grow his high pitch.  At least his dad didn't.  His crow always made us grin in comparison to our other roosters. 


  I think Silky kind of looks like Snowy.  Kind-of. 

 
 
Posted by Anne- using my husband's account :)  oops.

2 comments:

  1. So....we DID hatch some Silkie/Cochin/Leghorn/Breda Eggs. They look almost like Blue Burmese Hens. We love the way they are growing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- Check out Zinnie's page.

    ReplyDelete